To date COCHASA has made significant progress in lobbying and achieving the potential for complementary approaches to be included within the national health system.
- Successfully motivated complementary health practitioners to organise themselves into cohesive associations, each with a scope of practice, code of ethics and standards of training.
- Lobbied for and helped achieve an interim Chiropractors, Homeopaths and Allied Health Service Professions Council.
- Assisted Aromatherapy, Ayurveda, Massage Therapy and Reflexology Associations to achieve therapeutic statutory recognition via the Allied Health Professions Council.
- Lobbied for appropriate legislation in respect of complementary approaches.
- Lobbied for recognition of member associations by medical aids.
- Assisted in the coordination of input into the revision of the Medicines Control Council.
- Lobbied for and achieved the inclusion of complementary approaches in the ANC National Health Plan and in the Eastern Cape Health Plan.
- Cooperated in the preparation of submissions regarding the Traditional Health Practitioners draft Bill.